Python Advanced Help

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Tue Mar 15 14:27:35 EDT 2016

Luke Charlton wrote:

> Okay, So basically I created a python script around 1 year ago to grab an
> explain_plan from a Greenplum system (Normal SQL) and change it around and
> explain each step/section, the thing is, I've came back to the python code
> and I don't understand anything of what it's doing (the code
> specifically).

OK, so, basically, RTFM and STFW.  Also, you can print($object.__doc__) for
each $object that you do not understand.

> The Script does work but I just want to explain each section to myself and
> understand it a bit more as I've forgot Python. This means putting
> comments/notes in next to each section to explain it but hidden so it
> doesn't show up when ran, so using the # commenting out #.

It is sufficient for Python single-line comments if the line starts with “#”
(optionally preceded by whitespace).  Everything else is decoration.
I use leading “##” and “###” to tell documentation comments (other than
docstrings) from comment lines that disable code (lines starting with “#”
only) before it is cleaned up.  (WFM.  There might be a PEP about this that
recommends otherwise.)

<http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

--
PointedEars