The Cost of Dynamism (was Re: Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 08:20:28 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:02 PM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> Anyway, what I'm saying is, trying to implement a language is also a good
> way of learning it, especially of finding out how it works.

Same goes for a lot of things. Want to know how Windows ticks? Try
reimplementing it - or read the comments left behind by people who've
done that, by browsing the Wine sources. There have been times when
I've been trying to figure out how to use a particular Windows API
function or window message, and couldn't understand some edge case
based solely on the docs, so I dug into the Wine source code, found
how they did it (and in at least one case, found a comment stating
that observed behaviour differed from the docs!), and was able to
deploy to Windows on that basis.

I'm sure implementing Python is a lot more fun than reimplementing Windows APIs!

ChrisA