Python Advanced Help

Luke Charlton lcharlton at vldbsolutions.com
Tue Mar 15 07:35:19 EDT 2016

Okay, So basically I created a python script around 1 year ago to grab an explain_plan from a Greenplum system (Normal SQL) and change it around and explain each step/section, the thing is, I've came back to the python code and I don't understand anything of what it's doing (the code specifically). The Script does work but I just want to explain each section to myself and understand it a bit more as I've forgot Python. This means putting comments/notes in next to each section to explain it but hidden so it doesn't show up when ran, so using the # commenting out #.

The aim of the script is to make the explain_plan understandable because it comes out all garbled, so i've turned it upside down because thats how you read it, it goes from bottom to top instead of the default top to bottom. I've put step 1/2 in etc... but I want to know in the code what does what and where etc so I can then expand on the explanation of the explain_plan.

Code (Python) - http://pastebin.com/sVhW34fc (This is the one I'm trying to understand)
Before & After of an Explain_Plan in SQL Greenplum - http://pastebin.com/81kNWVcy

What we're aiming for (Teradatas Explain_Plan) - http://pastebin.com/Nm4g12B3

Regards,

Luke Charlton
Technical Consultant

[cid:4BEA1319-4F97-4ED8-96FE-1A3EDF7DEC22]
lcharlton at vldbsolutions.com<mailto:lcharlton at vldbsolutions.com>
Mobile : +44 (0) 773 431 3140