The Cost of Dynamism (was Re: Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?)

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Mar 15 02:25:45 EDT 2016

BartC <bc at freeuk.com>:

> Python includes some odd features that you say are indispensable
> (mutable function names), but excludes others which are standard in
> some other languages.

Which is true for any programming language. Each of them comes with its
facilities and ways to go about things. You decide which of them you
find suitable for whatever purpose. However, I don't think you should
try to go against the grain of a programming language.

Of course, great new ideas can be found. It would be interesting, for
example, to turn names (or "slots") into first-class objects in Python.
It would be perfectly backward-compatible and would simplify some
expressions:

    pool.intern(&self.s[n].x)

for:

    self.s[n].x = pool.intern(self.s[n].x)

Just an example -- I don't feel a strong need for the
idea.

Marko