Encapsulation in Python

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:09:37 EDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ignoring Tkinter, which is a gawd awful mess, how would you
> re-organize the 3,656 symbols in OpenGL.GL into smaller
> modules, without dividing them up along some random or
> arbitrary lines?

In that particular case, I wouldn't, except possibly as an
implementation detail with the main OpenGL package importing the
contents of all its sub-packages into itself (and I think that if you
look at the PyOpenGL source you'll find that it's doing something
similar). It's following a well-documented API that is separate from
its Python wrapper. It's unfortunate that the only namespacing
considered in the design of that API was "everything starts with the
prefix gl", but that's what we're stuck with. Moving things around
would just confuse users who can't then find them where they expect.