The Cost of Dynamism (was Re: Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?)

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 14 15:45:52 EDT 2016

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:43:22 +0000, BartC wrote:

> On 13/03/2016 09:39, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 04:54 am, BartC wrote:
>
>>> Common sense tells you it is unlikely.
>>
>> Perhaps your common sense is different from other people's common
>> sense. To me, and many other Python programmers, it's common sense that
>> being able to replace functions or methods on the fly is a useful
>> feature worth having. More on this below.
>>
>> Perhaps this is an example of the "Blub Paradox":
>
> Perhaps it's time to talk about something which many languages have, but
> Python hasn't. Not as far as I know anyway.
>
> That's references to names (sometimes called pointers). So if I write:
>
>   a = 100 f(a)
>
> then function f gets passed the value that a refers to, or 100 in this
> case. But how do you pass 'a' itself?
Congratulations
you have just proven that you have faild in your understanimg of python @
stage 1 becuae you keep tying to us it a C

try the following

def test(x):
	print (id(x)

a=100
print (id(a))
test(a)
a="Oops i was an idiot"
print (id(a))
test(a)

python always passes the object bound to a, not the value of a or a
pointer to a