Descriptors vs Property

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:16:26 EDT 2016

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 9:06:01 PM UTC+5:30, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> > Someone called Ned.B who i know elsewhere spoke on your behalf. I'm glad
> > to say I like/trust Ned a bit so *huggles* to you, and I shall snip.
> >
> > Also, sorry about the 'Steve' thing - bit shady dragging in crap from
> > elsewhere but my reputation here is not sterling (too many Q not many
> > A), so I tend to defend it willy-nilly. Sorry for the excess BP I may
> > have caused as well. One more *huggles* to you.
> >
> > All the huggling doesn't imply i trust you etc etc. Ah umm.. anyway :p
> > ciao till my next Q
> >

> Please ignore 'PointedEars', every month or so for some weird reason he
> complains about people not using their real names.  Why?  I've no idea,
> but I suggest that you don't ask him or we'll be here until Doomsday.

Anyhow what's a 'real name'??
Why is the name my friends call me by more/less real than the one my parents
call me?   And even parents keep changing their preferences -- nicknames etc!

Yeah there is a name on my passport stamped by some government (so-called)... What of it?

If we apply Thomas' own aphorism -- Nobility lies in action, not in name --
hardly any government would pass.

What of people who dont have passports/bank accounts etc?
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

Not to mention that when a genuine malign-intent change of name is effected
it is certain to 'pass' the real name test