ABI name tag for libpython

Robert Snoeberger robert.snoeberger at me.com
Sun Mar 13 21:33:47 EDT 2016

On Debian, the shared library, libpython3.4m.so, is ABI version tagged with an “m.” I’m assuming that this is the ABI version tag specified in PEP 3149. The PEP give an example of using sysconfig.get_config_var to get the name tag.

>>> sysconfig.get_config_var('SOABI')
'cpython-34m'

I’ve also noticed that the configure variable ‘LDVERSION' gives the ‘3.4m’ bit in the library name.

>>> sysconfig.get_config_var('LDVERSION')
‘3.4m'

My question is, are these configure variables a reliable way to determine the name tag of the python shared library? I’m trying to use ctypes.util.find_library to find libpython.

Thank you!