The Cost of Dynamism (was Re: Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Mar 13 09:14:16 EDT 2016

On Sunday 13 March 2016 01:43:21 Terry Reedy wrote:

> > Yeah, we get it. The CPython interpreter is plenty fast enough for
> > whatever you use it for. Good for you! Millions aren't so lucky.
> > They are looking for something faster, because for them, you can
> > never have too much speed. When you are trying to solve a 7000x7000
> > system of equations, you don't want to wait three days for a
> > solution. Or three hours with Numpy.
>
> There is a positive form of Parkinson's Law at work.  People patience
> is about the same as ever.  So as computation gets faster, people
> attempt larger problems.  I remember when the idea of solving such a
> problem was ludicrous.
>
> --
> Terry Jan Reedy

So would solving pi to 500 digits on a 64k color computer, but I've done
it. AIR it took the coco around 4.5 hours to fire up the printer and
print the result.  Using an exersize assembly code that Bill Barden
wrote.  All integer math, it looked correct but was missing the decimal
point after the 3.

One of the things you do just to prove it can be done. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)