The Cost of Dynamism (was Re: Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 21:03:07 EST 2016

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Python works and is extremely successful.  If it were made even faster it
> would be even more successful.  BartC would still be a complete idiot, as
> the complete crap that he's been spewing over the last days puts him into
> the same league as the RUE, possibly worse.  It is so obvious that he knows
> nothing about Python that I find it stunning that you can even contemplate
> supporting him, or is he paying you?

Be fair. BartC knows quite a lot about Python; his knowledge is
imperfect, but whose isn't? I will debate strongly on some of the
points where we disagree, and seek to educate on matters of Pythonic
code, but he does know what he's doing to at least some degree. He is
not trolling; perhaps he places more emphasis on performance than most
of us do (and he definitely gives a lot more weight to microbenchmarks
than I consider wise), and perhaps he doesn't give enough emphasis to
Unicode support (but that's a VERY common programmer error - "I don't
need that, it's fine"), but he is an intelligent programmer and
deserves your respect.

Thanks.

ChrisA