Hello

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 12 04:54:27 EST 2016

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:53:45 -0500, Larry Martell wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 4:49 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 02:28 pm, rubengoodson3 at yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>> > I am having trouble installing the Python software.
>>
>> Make sure your computer is turned on. I can't tell you how many times
>> I've tried to install Python, and I type commands and click icons and
>> nothing happens. It's really frustrating when you finally realise that
>> the reason nothing is working is because the computer is turned off! (I
>> thought I just had the screen brightness turned way down.)
>

> Many years ago (c. 1985) I was at a job interview and the interviewer
> asked me what the first thing I would do when I am presented with a new
> problem that I had to code up. I gave all sorts of answers like 'do a
> top down analysis of the problem,' and 'get the specs and requirements,'
> and 'write a flow chart.' Each time the interviewer said no even before
> that. Finally I said, what, what would do first? He said "Turn the
> computer on." I decided then and there I did not want to work for that
> guy.

Then not only was he an arse but he is also wrong.
for a complex problem it is best to have a plan on how to implement it
before reaching for the keyboard.

Your answer of get the spec & requirements certainly does not need a
computer (although one could help for note taking if your hand writing is
as bad as mine).

I guess he was so caught up with his clever catch answer that he did not
bother to analyse yours & realise he had missed something

"I decided then and there I did not want to work for that guy."

Shame I would have enjoyed reading the results on www.thedailywtf.com :-)

--
He who laughs last -- missed the punch line.