Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Fri Mar 11 17:24:45 EST 2016

On 11/03/2016 21:59, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 11/03/2016 18:57, BartC wrote:

> def test():
>      s=""
>      for i in range(10000000):
>          s+="*"
>      print (len(s))
>
> test()

> The minor snag that you might like to correct with your microbenchmark,
> which any experienced Python programmer knows, is that you *NEVER, EVER*
> create strings like this.

Why not? Chris said his version runs much faster (even allowing for
different machines), and might have a special optimisation for it.

And I think it can be optimised if, for example, there are no other
references to the string that s refers to.

So what's wrong with trying to fix it rather that using a workaround?

--
Bartc