Text input with keyboard, via input methods

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 23:51:18 EST 2016

On 03/09/2016 11:54 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
[...]
> In between these two extremes we have many possibilities
> - ibus/gchar etc
> - compose key
> - alternate keyboard layouts
>
> Using all these levels judiciously seems to me a good idea...

FWIW -- in Mint Linux you can select the compose key with the following:

Preferences->Keyboard->Layouts->Options->Position of Compose Key

then check the box(s) you want.

For those unfamiliar with it, to use it you press your selected compose key followed by a
sequence of characters (usually 2 but sometimes more).

A couple examples--
n~ gives ñ     u" gives ü    oo gives °  (degree sign)
Here's a cute one:  CCCP gives ☭  (hammer & sickle)

This gives you (relatively) easy access to a large range of 'special' characters.