Text input with keyboard, via input methods

Ben Bacarisse ben.usenet at bsb.me.uk
Thu Mar 10 16:48:27 EST 2016

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au>:
>
>> As for how solved it is, that depends on what you're hoping for as a
>> solution.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Hopefully your operating system has a good input method system, with
>> many input methods available to choose from. May you find a decent
>> default there.
>
> I don't have an answer. I have requirements, though:
>
>  * I should be able to get the character by knowing its glyph (shape).
>
>  * It should be very low-level and work system-wide, preferably over the
>    network (I'm typing this over the network).

I think you are a Gnus user so you probably already know about
insert-char (usually bound to C-x 8 RET though I've re-bound it to my
"insert" key).  Because Emacs's completion facility works with embedded
words you can see Unicode characters with names that include, for
example, "dotless" or "diagonal".  It's not quite "by knowing its glyph"
but it's helped me out many times.

<snip>
--
Ben.