Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Thu Mar 10 06:50:13 EST 2016

On 10/03/2016 07:30, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 10/03/2016 00:58, BartC wrote:

>> You think a bloody great compiler is a microbenchmark?!
>
> I have no interest in the speed of the compiler, I am interested in the
> run time speed of the applications that it produces which is what has
> been discussed thus far.

Perhaps you missed the fact that this compiler is written in the very
language it compiles. The code generated /is/ the application. And
compilers are real applications that people use all the time.

>>> I've no idea what this is meant to mean.
>>
>> It means the task doesn't do any function calls to external libraries.
>
> Meaning that in this dreadful place called the real world it's less than
> useless in many cases.

Suppose you were on the development team that writes the optimising
stages of a C compiler. You need to test the performance of the code it
produces so that you can compare one optimisation with another. Would you:

(a) Test only the code that is generated by your compiler

(b) Include also the runtime of third-party libraries consisting of
unknown code, written in an unknown language, with an unknown compiler
and with unknown optimisation settings?

You seem to be suggesting that (b) is a valid way of measuring the
performance of a language.

> Yes I am, as you appear to know squat.

I don't think I've ever traded insults on usenet or any public forum.
I'm too nice a chap. But today it's rather tempting!

>> But, yeah, I was writing international applications decades ago. I'm not
>> working for anyone now and don't need to bother.
>
> So your new language doesn't bother with unicode then?

Yes, it has provision for it. But I've not got round to implementing it.
Other things have more priority. Or are more interesting. As I said,
I've had all that fun before.

If I desperately needed to use Unicode today, then something can be
arranged either with the language or around it. It's not a big deal.

--
Bartc