Text input with keyboard, via input methods

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Mar 10 05:51:00 EST 2016

Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au>:

> As for how solved it is, that depends on what you're hoping for as a
> solution.
>
> [...]
>
> Hopefully your operating system has a good input method system, with
> many input methods available to choose from. May you find a decent
> default there.

I don't have an answer. I have requirements, though:

 * I should be able to get the character by knowing its glyph (shape).

 * It should be very low-level and work system-wide, preferably over the
   network (I'm typing this over the network).

The solution may require a touch screen and a canvas where I can draw
with my fingers.

The solution may have to be implemented in the keyboard.

Or maybe we'll have to wait for brain-implantable bluetooth tranceivers.
Then, we'd just think of the character and it would appear on the
screen.

Marko