Installing ibm_db package on Windows 7, 64-bit problem

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 03:31:22 EST 2016

On 10/03/2016 08:09, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Alexander Shmugliakov
> <shmuglak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hmm. I don't understand the warning there, but the final error is
> pretty straight-forward: you cannot build a package from source
> without having Visual Studio installed. Sadly, my usual go-to source
> for Windows wheels doesn't have ibm_db:
>
> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
>
> but that's definitely the first place to look.
>
> You basically have two choices:
>
> 1) Install the zero-dollar edition of Visual Studio 2015 (I think it's
> available from https://www.visualstudio.com/ but I've never actually
> used it, so don't depend on my advice), and build the extension from
> source. You may find Steve Dower's blog helpful here:
> http://stevedower.id.au/blog/building-for-python-3-5/

I've used it repeatedly with no problems, other than the fact that it
takes hours to download and install, even with a high speed broadband
link.  Steve Dower is attempting to get his Microsoft colleagues to
produce a bare minimum that could be used to build Python.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence