Question

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 12:19:09 EST 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Jon Ribbens
<jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2016-03-07, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Jon Ribbens
>><jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I must say that Python on Windows was a very poor experience indeed,
>>> "virtualenv" does not work and "venv" refuses to create the 'activate'
>>> shell script so does not work either
>>
>> I've used both of these on Windows (although not recently) and had no
>> trouble with them. I never had a problem with venv not creating the
>> activate.bat file.
>
> It's not activate.bat, it's activate (no file extension) the posix
> shell script. I installed Git for Windows which provides bash (or
> something that looks like it). Python venv doesn't cope with this
> situation at all.

Well, running bash on Windows is decidedly non-standard. This is like
installing a Python package on a Linux system and then complaining
that it won't run under wine. I don't think that Python should be
expected to provide an activate script for all possible shells the
user might conceivably want to use.

> 'virtualenv' works even less well, it just says:
>
> $ virtualenv test
> Using base prefix 'd:\\program files (x86)\\python35-32'
> New python executable in D:\Users\Jon Ribbens\Documents\Python\test\Scripts\python.exe
> ERROR: The executable "D:\Users\Jon Ribbens\Documents\Python\test\Scripts\python.exe" could not be run: [WinError 5] Access is denied

Ah, I probably never tried using it inside a user dir. On Windows I
typically do development in a path close to the drive root, e.g.
C:\dev.