fnmatch() vs. glob.glob()

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Mar 7 21:19:40 EST 2016

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 12:04 pm, Jinghui Niu wrote:

> May I take this opportunity to ask a bold question for a beginner: if I
> want to mimic Sublime Text's fuzzy search for a file search in given
> directories, which module of these two would be more suitable? Could you
> shed some insights? Thanks.

Read the documentation. See what functionality each module provides.

Here is the documentation for Python 3:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/glob.html
https://docs.python.org/3/library/fnmatch.html

and for Python 2:

https://docs.python.org/2/library/glob.html
https://docs.python.org/2/library/fnmatch.html

Reading the source is also a great way to learn about the module, and to
learn what is considered best practice in Python:

https://hg.python.org/cpython/file/3.5/Lib/glob.py
https://hg.python.org/cpython/file/3.5/Lib/fnmatch.py

This may also be helpful:

https://pymotw.com/2/glob/
https://pymotw.com/2/fnmatch/

But I shall give you a hint: the glob module imports the fnmatch module, and
uses it to perform the matching.

--
Steven