fnmatch() vs. glob.glob()

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Mar 7 16:37:17 EST 2016

Jinghui Niu <niujinghui at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I've been studying python 3 modules. I'm a bit confused about the
> possibly overlap between fnmatch() and glob(), they seem to achieve
> the same goals exactly. Why duplicate?

>From the module documentation:

    Note that unlike fnmatch.fnmatch(), glob treats filenames beginning
    with a dot (.) as special cases.

    <URL:https://docs.python.org/2/library/glob.html>

So the goals are different: ‘glob.glob’ has the goal of matching closer
to the Unix meaning of glob patterns, where filenames starting with a
“.” character are conventionally treated as “hidden by default”.

--
 \      “We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just |
  `\                                 stuff that works.” —Douglas Adams |