Question

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 13:51:27 EST 2016

On 2016-03-07, mm0fmf <none at invalid.com> wrote:
> On 07/03/2016 18:09, Jon Ribbens wrote:
>> It only appears to have downloads for 32-bit, or 64-bit AMD processors,
>> not 64-bit Intel processors.
>
> You didn't read the bit that says
>
> "The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the
> Intel 64 architecture. (Also known as the "x64" architecture, and
> formerly known as both "EM64T" and "x86-64".) "

You are quite correct that I did not read the whole of the
ridiculously-long and badly-organised download page.

I would strongly suggest that, at the very least, the 'Description'
for the x86-64 files should say "for all 64-bit PCs (except Itanium*)"
with the '*' linking to a footnote that explains how to tell if you
have one of those.

I must say that Python on Windows was a very poor experience indeed,
"virtualenv" does not work and "venv" refuses to create the 'activate'
shell script so does not work either (and pygame doesn't work, but
that's presumably not Python's fault).