reversed(zip(...)) not working as intended

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sun Mar 6 13:53:36 EST 2016

Sven R. Kunze wrote:

> what's the reason that reversed(zip(...)) raises as a TypeError?
>
> Would allowing reversed to handle zip and related functions lead to
> strange errors?

In Python 3 zip() can deal with infinite iterables -- what would you expect
from

reversed(zip(count()))

?

If all arguments of zip() are finite and of equal length you can write

zip(reversed(a1), reversed(a2), ...)

or if you find that really useful something like

>>> class myzip(zip):
...     def __init__(self, *args):
...         self.args = args
...     def __reversed__(self):
...         return zip(*(reversed(a) for a in self.args))
>>> list(reversed(myzip("abc", [1,2,3])))
[('c', 3), ('b', 2), ('a', 1)]

While this might look right at first sight it really opens a can of worms.
First zip():

>>> z = zip("abc", "def")
>>> next(z)
('a', 'd')
>>> list(z)
[('b', 'e'), ('c', 'f')]

Now myzip():

>>> m = myzip("abc", "def")
>>> next(m)
>>> list(reversed(m))

Frankly, I have no idea what consistent behaviour should look like for a
zip() that can be "reverse-iterated".

PS: In Python 2 zip() would produce a list, so

>>> list(reversed(zip("abc", "def")))

worked without requiring any code in zip().