Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Mar 6 09:41:56 EST 2016

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 10:34 pm, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> Hi, I've been experimenting with a short test program under python 2.7
> and python 3.4.2. It's a simple read from file, and locate a word therein.
>
> I get the (subjective) impression that python2  is slightly faster than
> python3. Is that correct? Is there any documentation to support this?

I believe that, overall, Python 3 is still slightly slower than Python 2,
but it's a near thing. Have a look at the latest performance benchmarks:

https://speed.python.org/comparison/

Eyeballing the graph, I estimate that the latest 3.x version is probably
about 10% slower overall, although different benchmarks show different
speeds.

--
Steven