Photon mass (was: [Still off-top] Physics)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Sat Mar 5 10:46:04 EST 2016

Gene Heskett wrote:

> I've never heard of a massless photon,

That is unfortunate as it should be common knowledge by now.

> and they do exert a push on the surface they are reflected from, […]

Photons exert a force on surfaces because they carry *momentum* or, as it
had been understood in terminology that is obsolete now, a non-zero
“*relativistic* mass” (that had been distinguished from “rest mass”).

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass#Mass_in_relativity>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_special_relativity#Relativistic_mass>

F'up2 sci.physics.relativity

--