exit from Tkinter mainloop Python 2.7

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Mar 4 17:28:03 EST 2016

kevind0718 at gmail.com wrote:

> Christian & Others:
>
> Thanks for your attention to this matter.
> My code now look like this:
>
> from Tkinter import *
>

> def butContinue():
>     dbUser = entryName.get()

Here you set the local variable dbUser (every name you rebind inside a
function is local to that function by default)

>     pWord =  entryPWord.get()
>     print dbUser

and here you print it.

>     print pWord
>     root1.quit()
>

> dbUser = ""

Here you set the global variable dbUser

> pWord  = ""
> root1 = Tk()
> ##root1.geometry("500x250")
>

> lblTop = Label(root1, text= '      Enter Values Below', font="Helvetica
> 14").grid(row=0, column=0, columnspan=2 , pady=5)
> ##lblTop.pack(side = TOP)
>
> lblDB = Label(root1,    text= 'Weight').grid(row=1, column=0 )
> lblPWord = Label(root1, text= 'Height').grid(row=2,column=0)
> entryName = Entry(root1)
> entryName.grid(row=1, column=1, pady=5)
>
> entryPWord = Entry(root1)
> entryPWord.grid(row=2, column=1, pady = 5)
>
> butGo  =  Button(root1, text="   Continue "  , command=butContinue
> ).grid(row=3, column=1, sticky=W, pady=10)
>

> root1.mainloop()
>
> print "After the MainLoop"
> print dbUser

and here you print that global variable.

> print pWord
>
> After I type in the text Weight and Height
> No error are reported and output looks like this:
>
> Weight
> Height
> After the MainLoop
>

> Question:
> Why did this code not cause Weight and Height to print again.
>
> print "After the MainLoop"
> print dbUser
> print pWord
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you want

> def butContinue():
>     dbUser = entryName.get()
>     pWord =  entryPWord.get()

to change the global dbUser and pWord you need to declare them as global
explicitly:

> def butContinue():
      global dbUser, pWord