Continuing indentation

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Fri Mar 4 01:28:56 EST 2016

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>:

> class C:
>     def method(self):
>         if (result is None
>                 or self.some_condition()
>                 or len(some_sequence) > 100
>                 or some_other_condition
>                 or page_count < 5
>             ):
>             do_processing()
>

> Looks fine to me.

The class is aptly named "C"; the parentheses give a C-esque feel to the
statement.

Continuation lines abound in the standard lib sources. For example:

   difflib.py:
        # Extend the best by non-junk elements on each end.  In particular,
        # "popular" non-junk elements aren't in b2j, which greatly speeds
        # the inner loop above, but also means "the best" match so far
        # doesn't contain any junk *or* popular non-junk elements.
        while besti > alo and bestj > blo and \
              not isbjunk(b[bestj-1]) and \
              a[besti-1] == b[bestj-1]:
            besti, bestj, bestsize = besti-1, bestj-1, bestsize+1
        while besti+bestsize < ahi and bestj+bestsize < bhi and \
              not isbjunk(b[bestj+bestsize]) and \
              a[besti+bestsize] == b[bestj+bestsize]:
            bestsize += 1

        # Now that we have a wholly interesting match (albeit possibly
        # empty!), we may as well suck up the matching junk on each
        # side of it too.  Can't think of a good reason not to, and it
        # saves post-processing the (possibly considerable) expense of
        # figuring out what to do with it.  In the case of an empty
        # interesting match, this is clearly the right thing to do,
        # because no other kind of match is possible in the regions.
        while besti > alo and bestj > blo and \
              isbjunk(b[bestj-1]) and \
              a[besti-1] == b[bestj-1]:
            besti, bestj, bestsize = besti-1, bestj-1, bestsize+1
        while besti+bestsize < ahi and bestj+bestsize < bhi and \
              isbjunk(b[bestj+bestsize]) and \
              a[besti+bestsize] == b[bestj+bestsize]:
            bestsize = bestsize + 1

   ast.py:
def literal_eval(node_or_string):
    """
    Safely evaluate an expression node or a string containing a Python
    expression.  The string or node provided may only consist of the following
    Python literal structures: strings, bytes, numbers, tuples, lists, dicts,
    sets, booleans, and None.
    """
    if isinstance(node_or_string, str):
        node_or_string = parse(node_or_string, mode='eval')
    if isinstance(node_or_string, Expression):
        node_or_string = node_or_string.body
    def _convert(node):
        if isinstance(node, (Str, Bytes)):
            return node.s
        elif isinstance(node, Num):
            return node.n
        elif isinstance(node, Tuple):
            return tuple(map(_convert, node.elts))
        elif isinstance(node, List):
            return list(map(_convert, node.elts))
        elif isinstance(node, Set):
            return set(map(_convert, node.elts))
        elif isinstance(node, Dict):
            return dict((_convert(k), _convert(v)) for k, v
                        in zip(node.keys, node.values))
        elif isinstance(node, NameConstant):
            return node.value
        elif isinstance(node, UnaryOp) and \
             isinstance(node.op, (UAdd, USub)) and \
             isinstance(node.operand, (Num, UnaryOp, BinOp)):
            operand = _convert(node.operand)
            if isinstance(node.op, UAdd):
                return + operand
            else:
                return - operand
        elif isinstance(node, BinOp) and \
             isinstance(node.op, (Add, Sub)) and \
             isinstance(node.right, (Num, UnaryOp, BinOp)) and \
             isinstance(node.left, (Num, UnaryOp, BinOp)):
            left = _convert(node.left)
            right = _convert(node.right)
            if isinstance(node.op, Add):
                return left + right
            else:
                return left - right
        raise ValueError('malformed node or string: ' + repr(node))
    return _convert(node_or_string)