Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Mike S mscir at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 3 02:27:34 EST 2016

On 2/27/2016 10:13 AM, wrong.address.1 at gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 February 2016 18:08:36 UTC+2, Dietmar Schwertberger  wrote:
>> On 27.02.2016 12:18, wrong.address.1 at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Isn't there any good GUI IDE like Visual Basic? I hope there are some less well known GUI IDEs which I did not come across. Thanks.
>>
>> As of today, there's no Python GUI builder comparable to VB 6.
>>

> Thanks for stating this clearly. Everyone here has been trying to show me various ways to do the kind of things I will want to, but nobody clearly admits the limitations I will have to accept if I start with Python.
>
> I am starting to wonder if VB.net would be a better solution for the time being. I have learnt enough VB.net to manage my work but it is bloated and Microsoft dependent.
>
>> There are some like QtDesigner or wxGlade, but they either don't
>> generate Python code directly or they can only be used if you know the
>> underlying toolkit good enough to create the GUI yourself. You may try
>> out some, but I can almost guarantee you that you will come to the same
>> result.
>> If you want a GUI, create it yourself using either wxPython or PyQt.
>
> I will check it. I got the impression that you can create a GUI but that has to be converted to Python, and then you need a wrapper to put these forms in, and then they can be compiled or converted to *.exe with py2exe. Not a good way for development/debugging.
>

>> For engineering applications that's probably the weakest point that
>> Python has.
>> It's holding back a lot of people...
>>
>> Well, for most measurement or control software a GUI is not really
>> needed, but still people want it.
>>

> In the 1980s everyone was happy with inputs from the command line on a line editor, but today people expect GUIs with graphics and often even animations.
> It is surprising that a language which seems very popular does not have GUI development infrastructure in place these many years after it got into common use.
>
>> Regards,
>> Dietmar

FWIW, I have a lot of VB6 experience, and while I was reluctant to do it
I did write some VB.NET programs and I have to say, MS did a good job
with the VS IDE, of course they spent a lot of money on it. I'm learning
Python to see if I want to do AI/ML work with it because I don't want to
use Azure, but I'm going to keep using VB6 and VB.NET for desktop
programs where development time and a GUI is needed, just my preference
based on my experience.