Inception

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Thu Mar 3 01:30:46 EST 2016

Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> I'm familiar with that document. It doesn't help me understand what you
> mean by “embed CPython in CPython”.

It seems straightforward enough to me.  Lots of Python programs load C
extensions.  Denis is asking whether one of those C extensions could
itself embed CPython through the embedding interface.  My answer: I
don't know, but I'm dubious about the prospect, based on how the
embedding interface works.  One of Armin Ronacher's old blog posts
discusses the interface and some of its drawbacks:

http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2014/8/16/the-python-i-would-like-to-see/#the-damn-interpreter

It might be that MicroPython or PyPy is easier to embed in that way.