Reason for not allowing import twice but allowing reload()

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 05:15:11 EST 2016

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 7:53:10 AM UTC+5:30, Ian wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 09:29 am, Ian Kelly wrote:
> >
> >> There's a big difference between
> >> that and clocking a year of uptime just because you can, though.
> >
> > What other reason is there for having a year of uptime?
> >
> > It's not like it is difficult. My laptop doesn't actually go anywhere: for
> > historical reasons, it's a laptop but it is (mostly) used as a desktop. It
> > sits on my desk. If there's a power outage, the handy built-in UPS
> > (battery) keeps it alive for an hour or two. I come in, I nudge the mouse
> > to wake xscreensaver and authenticate; I do my work; then I run
> > xscreensaver to lock the screen and leave.
> >
> > If I need access to something from home, I can SSH into the office network,
> > and from there into the laptop.
> >
> > The OS is as stable as the surface of the moon, and simply doesn't crash or
> > go down ever. (If only Firefox was as good, alas, but when it does crash it
> > is nearly always because I've allowed Javascript to run on some popular,
> > multimedia-rich, information-free website.) I don't reboot because I don't
> > need to reboot. Why would you reboot just for the sake of rebooting?
>
> Software updates? The nice thing about *nix systems is that *most*
> updates don't require a reboot. I'm still going to reboot any time
> there's a kernel update though, and those are fairly frequent. I could
> read the patch notes to determine whether this new kernel version is
> actually important, but it takes less of my time just to go ahead and
> reboot.

Dunno what systems you folks use...
My ubuntu(s) 15.10 seem to (my estimates not hard data)
- update every couple of days
- kernel/security updates every 2-3 weeks

"Stable as the surface of the moon"??
Well thats strong
The other day I
- aptitude purge-d the kernel I was running on
  [I was trying to show off to someone that ubuntu would not allow that!]
- machine kept running merrily but thereafter aptitude crashed
- Until I rebooted an older kernel; installed the one I had removed and rebooted to that