Reason for not allowing import twice but allowing reload()

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 1 20:19:42 EST 2016

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 09:29 am, Ian Kelly wrote:

> There's a big difference between
> that and clocking a year of uptime just because you can, though.

What other reason is there for having a year of uptime?

It's not like it is difficult. My laptop doesn't actually go anywhere: for
historical reasons, it's a laptop but it is (mostly) used as a desktop. It
sits on my desk. If there's a power outage, the handy built-in UPS
(battery) keeps it alive for an hour or two. I come in, I nudge the mouse
to wake xscreensaver and authenticate; I do my work; then I run
xscreensaver to lock the screen and leave.

If I need access to something from home, I can SSH into the office network,
and from there into the laptop.

The OS is as stable as the surface of the moon, and simply doesn't crash or
go down ever. (If only Firefox was as good, alas, but when it does crash it
is nearly always because I've allowed Javascript to run on some popular,
multimedia-rich, information-free website.) I don't reboot because I don't
need to reboot. Why would you reboot just for the sake of rebooting?

When I unlock the screen, my system is usable *instantly*. I don't have to
open a dozen applications, wait for them to load, authenticate into half a
dozen different systems. They're already open.

About once a year, or every 18 months or so, I need to reboot to go into
Windows. If not for that, and the occasional kernel update, I'd probably
never reboot.

--
Steven