Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:07:24 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 07:33 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>>> As for why you should avoid JS/CSS, Web pages open very slowly, jump
>>> around wildly during rendering and have unexpected artifacts (not to
>>> mention the numerous data collection abuses) when they are encumbered
>>> with truckloads of state-of-the-art web dev gimmicks.
>>
>> And when I pick up a paintbrush, canvas, and oil paints, the result is
>> appallingly hard on the eyes. Clearly oil paints should not be used,
>> and we should just place the brush tastefully on the canvas, because
>> that is guaranteed to look good.
>>
>> Don't blame the tool for its poor users.
>
> A better analogy is:
>
> When I add cocaine to my stew, the result is a appallingly bad for those who
> eat it. Do you have any idea how rough cocaine is on the human body and
> brain? My wife likes the analogy, being on cocaine is like pressing the
> accelerator of your car all the way to the floor, ALL THE TIME, regardless
> of whether you are moving forward or stopped at the lights. And yet, for
> some reason, people seem to like the cocaine-riddled stew, and often ask me
> to add more cocaine.
>
> People cannot get enough of Javascript, no matter what it does to the
> security and stability of their browser, no matter how many pop-ups it
> launches or how much spyware and malware it installs, or how many times it
> kills their browser.

s/cocaine/sriracha/ and I would agree with you, because there are
places where JS can majorly enhance a web site, and it isn't going to
kill you if you use it correctly. But while we might disagree on the
precise boundary between "good JS" and "bad JS", it seems we're pretty
vehemently in agreement that there are a lot of sites out there that
serve up a stew that burns the paint off buildings in the next county.

ChrisA