Controlling the Mac OSX GUI via Python?

Maitland Montmorency maitlandmontmorency at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 19:18:54 EDT 2016

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 3:35:42 PM UTC-7, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Lawrence D’Oliveiro
> <lawrencedo99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 7:22:43 AM UTC+12, Maitland Montmorency wrote:
> >> I'd like to use Python to do some simple OSX GUI manipulations such as
> >> automatically arranging windows, periodically refreshing applications
> >> across multiple desktops, etc..
> > GUIs, by their nature, are not designed to be automated.
>
> Doesn't mean they can't be! Ultimately, GUIs are just code, ...
> ChrisA

Thanks, everyone!  I'll go read about PyObjC.  I'm not sure if I have the chops to take advantage of it but it looks like the bridge into Apple's development environment I'm seeking.

GUI automation: Good catch on the wording.  I perhaps should have said GUI element manipulation instead.  I like my Mac a great deal but there are some aspects of the Windows interface that I miss; e.g. tile or cascade all windows with a single click.  So, I thought I would try my hand at doing it through Python vs. using canned Applescripts.

>>> Seeking FMs to RT, so to speak.

Chris A interpreted it perfectly.  Often the hardest part of the problem is knowing how to ask for the manual whose name you don't even know...

-MM