Controlling the Mac OSX GUI via Python?

hasan.diwan at gmail.com hasan.diwan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:02:43 EDT 2016

>On 6/30/2016 3:22 PM, you wrote:
>> I'd like to use Python to do some simple OSX GUI manipulations such
>> as automatically arranging windows, periodically refreshing
>> applications across multiple desktops, etc..  Is this possible and if
>> so, is there a preferred package?

Please see this page https://docs.python.org/2/using/mac.html. The following will show a window, entitled "Hello world":

#!/pyobjc/virtualenv/path/bin/python

import sys
import os

from AppKit import *
from PyObjCTools import AppHelper

class Delegate (NSObject):
    def applicationDidFinishLaunching_(self, aNotification):
        '''Called automatically when the application has launched'''
        print "Hello, World!"

    def windowWillClose_(self, aNotification):
        '''Called automatically when the window is closed'''
        print "Window has been closed"
        NSApp().terminate_(self)

def main():
    a=NSApplication.sharedApplication()
    delegate = Delegate.alloc().init()
    a.setDelegate_(delegate)
    frame = ((200.0, 300.0), (250.0, 100.0))
    w = NSWindow.alloc().initWithContentRect_styleMask_backing_defer_(frame, 15, 2, 0)
    w.setDelegate_(delegate)
    w.setTitle_(u'Hello, World!')
    w.orderFrontRegardless()
    AppHelper.runEventLoop()