Assignment Versus Equality

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Wed Jun 29 10:47:22 EDT 2016

On 29/06/2016 14:35, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> I used this little benchmark:
>>
>> def fn():
>>     n=0
>>     for i in range(1000000):
>>         n+=i
>>
>> for k in range(100):
>>     fn()
>
> Add, up the top:
>
> try: range = xrange
> except NameError: pass
>
> Otherwise, your Py2 tests are constructing a million-element list,
> which is a little unfair.

It made little difference (21 seconds instead of 20 seconds).

But that was on Windows. I remember that Python was much more sluggish
on Windows than under Ubuntu on the same machine. (Maybe the Windows
version was 32-bits or something.)

Trying it on Ubuntu, Py2 takes 6 seconds (using xrange otherwise it's 9
seconds) , while pypy (2.7) manages 0.35 seconds.

pypy normally excels with such loops, but I recall also that it had some
trouble with this particular benchmark, which this version must have fixed.

--
Bartc