Assignment Versus Equality

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 28 22:35:57 EDT 2016

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 12:10 am, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Analogy: Python's bool as 1½-class because bool came into python a good
> decade after python and breaking old code is a bigger issue than fixing
> control constructs to be bool-strict

That analogy fails because Python bools being implemented as ints is not a
bug to be fixed, but a useful feature.

There are downsides, of course, but there are also benefits. It comes down
to a matter of personal preference whether you think that bools should be
abstract True/False values or concrete 1/0 values. Neither decision is
clearly wrong, it's a matter of what you value.

Whereas some decisions are just dumb:

https://www.jwz.org/blog/2010/10/every-day-i-learn-something-new-and-stupid/

--
Steven