Assignment Versus Equality

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Jun 28 15:40:48 EDT 2016

Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>> Inside the probe, we have a powerful electrical magnet that our
>> compass can detect from a safe distance away.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> The compass needle shows that the probe is "frozen" and won't budge no
>> matter how long we wait.
>
> I'm skeptical of this. As the ping frequency falls drastically due to
> relativistic effects, so too does the observed current powering the
> electromagnet, does it not?

Actually, that would be a great question for a physicist to resolve.
Next question: would a permanent magnet make any difference?

I admit I changed my thought experiment at the last minute to use a
magnet instead of a charge because I could more realistically imagine a
powerful magnet and a simple detector. That may have been a mistake.

A charge, however, would do the "floating" I presume. It's difficult to
find a straight answer online. The topic of a charge falling into a
black hole is addressed from one angle at:

This is from an answer by a guy who says he's got a PhD in general
relativity:

   there's no problem with information falling IN to a black hole, which
   is allowed to externally display it's mass, charge, angular momentum
   and linear momentum, all of which get inprinted on the horizon as
   matter falls in

Again, I'd like a physicist to give a straight answer.

Marko