Assignment Versus Equality

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:42:58 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-27, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2016-06-27 14:59, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2016-06-26, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>>
>>> (Note, for those who don't know (old) Fortran, that spaces and tabs are
>>> not significant. So those dots are needed, otherwise "a eq b" would be
>>> parsed as "aeqb".)
>>
>> I've always been baffled by that.
>>
>> Were there other languages that did something similar?
>
> Algol 60 and Algog 68.

Ah, I never knew that Algol ignored spaces also.  I had a vague
recollection that they keyword namespace and variable namespaces were
speparate, which allowed some rather odd looking (by modern standards)
code.

> It let you have identifiers like "grand total"; there was no need for
> camel case or underscores to separate the parts of the name.

It's interesting how completely that concept has dissappeared from
modern languages.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Send your questions to
                                  at               ``ASK ZIPPY'', Box 40474,