[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 3.4.5 and Python 3.5.2 are now available

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Mon Jun 27 11:25:40 EDT 2016

On 26Jun2016 1932, Larry Hastings wrote:
> https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-352/
> /p.s. There appears to be a small oops with the Windows installers for
> 3.5.2--uploaded to the wrong directory or something.  They'll be
> available soon, honest!

That oops is now fixed, but I wanted to mention one other thing.

Microsoft Security Essentials, now a very common antivirus/antimalware
scanner on Windows, is incorrectly detecting
Lib/distutils/command/wininst-14.0.exe as malware (originally reported
at http://bugs.python.org/issue27383).

My assumption is that someone distributed malware using a bdist_exe
package, and our stub executable got picked up in the signature. I
rebuilt the executable on my own machine from early source code and it
still triggered the scan, so there does not appear to have been any
change to the behaviour of the executable.

I've already submitted a false positive report, so I expect an update to
correct it at some point in the future, but please do not be alarmed to
see this warning when installing Python 3.5.2, or when scanning any
earlier version of 3.5.

Feel free to contact me off-list or steve.dower at microsoft.com if you
have concerns.

Cheers,