Assignment Versus Equality

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 27 09:28:00 EDT 2016

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 10:48 pm, Rustom Mody wrote:

> PS Google Groups is wise enough to jump through hoops trying to encode my
> message above as latin-1, then as Windows 1252 and only when that does not
> work as UTF-8

There is nothing admirable about GG (or any other newsreader or email
client) defaulting to legacy encodings like Latin-1 and especially not
Windows 1252.

Certainly the user should be permitted to explicitly set the encoding, but
otherwise the program should default to UTF-8.

--
Steven
enough, things got worse.