how to python to use virtual memory?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 23:00:13 EDT 2016

On 06/24/2016 08:44 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> 	I don't know how Linux handles swap disk -- Windows normally sets the
> swap space to ~2X physical memory (for small RAM -- my 12GB system has a
> 12GB swap and suggests 18GB).

Linux typically uses a user-set swap partition.  The old rule of thumb
was to make the swap partition 2x the size of RAM. Now, though, for most
installations with lots of RAM, 1:1 is often used.

However, if the OP's program really requires 70 to 100 GB of space,
relying on the virtual memory system to do this (64-bit only of course)
is a mistake.  The system will simply thrash itself to death on any OS
at that level of over-commit.  If he has that much data, he needs to
employ techniques for working with the data directly on disk himself.  I
highly doubt these big data sets that large companies work rely simply
on the OS to manage it!