I seem to be creating a dict that I cannot access the keys of

Sayth Renshaw flebber.crue at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 23:59:59 EDT 2016

Really getting a little lost here with lxml.

I cannot seem to create a dict of results using xpath or other that I could easily get the results from, currently I am always returned a printed copy of the whole file regardless of what parsing options I do.

Can I ask is there something obvious wrong, i have left the commented other versions in they "work" in that they all produce the same output the print whole file.

def parseXML():
    """
    given a file XML will parse for listed attributes.

    using objectified lxml
    """
    for file in getsMeet(file_list):
        with open(file, "rb") as f:
            xml = f.read()
            root = objectify.parse(xml)
            atts = ("number", "id", "horse", "saddlecloth", "barrier",
                    "weight", "rating", "description", "colours", "owners",
                    "dob", "age", "sex", "career", "thistrack", "thisdistance",
                    "goodtrack", "heavytrack", "finished", "weightvariation",
                    "variedweight", "decimalmargin", "penalty",
                    "pricestarting")

            tree = etree.parse(StringIO(xml))
            result = etree.tostring(tree.getroot(), pretty_print=True)
            for sample in result:
                noms = (dict(zip(atts, map(sample.attrib.get, atts))))
                print(noms)
            # print(etree.tostring(tree.getroot()))
            #
            # for sample in root.xpath('//race/nomination'):
            #     noms = (dict(zip(atts, map(sample.attrib.get, atts))))
            #     numbers = [(k, v) for k, v in noms.items()]
            #     print(noms)
            #     return numbers

            # parser = etree.XMLParser(root, remove_comments=True)
            # d = defaultdict(list)
            # for sample in parser.xpath('//race/nomination'):
            #     print(sample)
            # for sample in root.xpath('//race/nomination'):
            #     # print(sample)
            #     dct = sample.attrib
            #     for k in atts:
            #         # print(k)