Request for opinions: A cross language development tool

Laurent Pointal laurent.pointal at free.fr
Thu Jun 23 03:36:07 EDT 2016

Tal Zion wrote:

> Bridge compiles Python modules into native code,

What is "native", really microprocessor executable binary ? How do you adapt
to diversity?

> which requires us to
> support Python *language* features (for, while, class, generators, etc)
> but it reuses CPython's libraries (list, dict, str, etc)

Hum, "etc" is important here, CPython libraries makes Python power
("batteries included"). And running such code on client side have
*important* security concerns… I won't see people allowing automatically
loaded Python scripts (or their binaries) execution on their system as is
without a security layer.

> so we don't
> implement those, and it also uses CPython's ast module in order to parse
> Python code. So once we are done supporting all of the language
> features, any Python code should work.

Supporting features is not only parsing code, it's providing same execution
semantic. And its a reason it would be more complicated to use exactly same
execution kernel to run other languages.

> Currently we have quite a few
> language features to implement, but we're working on it =) We're
> targeting Python 3.5.

You seem to start a new, potentially complex project (devil is in details),
ignoring other works which already did same job:

Apart from ironpython, parrot, jython, already listed, you can look at:

Brython to run Python with a JavaScript/ECMAScript engine
	http://brython.info/

MicroPython to run Python on small embedded systems
	https://micropython.org/

Also look at https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebBrowserProgramming where there
are many other projects of that kind.

You want Python on the web browser, try to produce asm.js code, you will
benefit of all work done on JavaScript engines, and of security layers.
But… you will have to rewrite the batteries into pure Python mixed with
asm.js code, this is huge work.

Bon courage.

A+
L.Pointal.