ASCII or Unicode? (was best text editor for programming Python on a Mac)

Lawrence D’Oliveiro lawrencedo99 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 03:55:02 EDT 2016

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 7:50:50 AM UTC+12, Tim Chase wrote:

> I have a ~/.XCompose file that contains something like
>
> include "%L"
> <Multi_key> <colon> <s>             : "😖"   U1F616 # CONFOUNDED FACE
> <Multi_key> <colon> <p>             : "😛"   U1F61B # FACE WITH
> STUCK-OUT TONGUE <Multi_key> <colon> <P>             : "😛"   U1F61B #
> FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE
>

> The "include" pulls in the system-wide file, before adding my own
> compose maps.

You may find your custom XCompose is ignored by certain GUI apps. This is because the GUI toolkits they are using need to be told to pull it in (seems like XCompose is interpreted by the client side X toolkits, not the server side). So I put the following lines in my .bashrc:

    export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
    export QT_IM_MODULE=xim