Operator Precedence/Boolean Logic

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jun 22 02:02:55 EDT 2016

On Wednesday 22 June 2016 13:40, Elizabeth Weiss wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I am a little confused as to how this is False:
>
> False==(False or True)
>
> I would think it is True because False==False is true.

Remember that parentheses are always evaluated first. So Python evaluates:

False or True

first, which evaluates as True. Then it evaluates False == True, which is
obviously False.

Why is "False or True" True? Well, consider this question:

Who is allowed on the rides at the amusement park?
- people over 18, regardless of their height;
- people under 18, if they are "this tall" (4ft 6in) or greater.

Is Fred (16 years old, and 5ft 6in tall) allowed on the ride? Only if:
- he is over 18, or taller than "this tall";
- which is "False or True"
- which is True

Does that help?

--