ASCII or Unicode? (was best text editor for programming Python on a Mac)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 06:46:25 EDT 2016

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 2:05:55 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Larry Hudson :
> > It sounds like you are almost, but not quite, describing the Linux
> > Compose key.
>
> I have used Linux since the 1990's but don't know anything about "the
> Linux Compose key."

It used to be a real (aka hardware) key:
See pics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key#Occurrence_on_keyboards

> (On the other hand, I have always specified my preferred keyboard layout with .Xmodmap.)

If this is being given as advice its bad advice
xmodmap is obsolete use xkb
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_KeyBoard_extension#xmodmap
[Does this make life easier?? Didnt say so :-) ]
This particularly nasty bug: h
ttps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/998310
I believe I witnessed when I tried to use xmodmap