value of pi and 22/7

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 13:53:11 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-19, Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> I feel a new phrase coming on: “good enough for Bible work”!
>
> I understand there's a passage in the Bible somewhere that
> uses a 1 significant digit approximation to pi...

A lot of the time, 3 is a good-enough approximation of π (it's less
than 5% off). Yesterday I needed to know if the globe on a light
fixture was 5", 6", or 7" diameter.  Measure the circumference with a
tape, divide by 3, and Bob's your uncle.  Of course if you have to do
that very often, you just by a diameter tape. :)

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I think I am an
                                  at               overnight sensation right