value of pi and 22/7

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:01:53 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 12:22 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> There's a difference though. Nobody has tried to legislate the value of pi to
> match your casual reference to "about 1900 square feet", but there's been at
> least one serious attempt to legislate the value of pi to match the implied
> value given by the Bible.

If you're referring the Indiana Pi Bill of 1897, it was actually a
poorly conceived attempt to publish an amateur mathematician's claim
of a way to square the circle. It had nothing to do with biblical
interpretation and would have implied a value for pi of 3.2, not 3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill

I'm not aware of any other such legislative attempts. Snopes records
one that allegedly occurred in Indiana but dismisses the claim as
false.