ASCII or Unicode? (was best text editor for programming Python on a Mac)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:12:01 EDT 2016

On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 8:30:25 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 12:23 am, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > On 2016-06-20, Phil Boutros  wrote:
> [...]
> >> Ctrl-K, =, ! (last two steps interchangeable).  Done.  Result:  ≠
> >
> > On any non-broken X11 system it's: <compose> = /
>
> Nope, doesn't work for me. I guess I've got a "broken" X11 system.
>
> Oh, I did learn one thing, thanks to Lawrence's earlier link: the compose
> key behaves as a dead-key, not a modifier.

You need to say something like
$ setxkbmap  -option compose:menu

then the windows menu key becomes the compose key
Or
$ setxkbmap  -option compose:ralt

then its the right-alt

You can check whats currently the state of xkb with
$ setxkbmap -print

And you can clean up with a bare
$ setkkb -option

else these options 'pile-up' as a  -print would show