ASCII or Unicode? (was best text editor for programming Python on a Mac)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 20 06:24:03 EDT 2016

On Monday 20 June 2016 17:57, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:

> On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 4:31:00 PM UTC+12, Phil Boutros wrote:
>>
>> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>>
>>> This is how I write x≠y from scratch:
>> <snip long, arduous process>
>>
>>     To wrap this back full circle, here's how it's done on vim:
>>
>> Ctrl-K, =, ! (last two steps interchangeable).  Done.  Result:  ≠
>
> Standard Linux sequence: compose-slash-equals (or compose-equals-slash).
> Works in every sensible editor, terminal emulator, text-input field in web
> browsers and other GUI apps. In short, everywhere.

Everywhere compose is configured the way you expect.

> <http://wiki.wlug.org.nz/ComposeKey>

Nice link, thank you, although missing a few things. Like how to query which
key is the compose key, and how to specify a key other than CapsLock. But
there's always Google, I suppose.

According to that link: "By default this function is not assigned to any key."

So... not so much "everywhere" as "by default, nowhere".

--
Steve