ASCII or Unicode? (was best text editor for programming Python on a Mac)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 22:07:13 EDT 2016

On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 7:03:01 AM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 04:58 am, Michael Torrie wrote:
>
> > When the cursor is over character, do command "ga" and it will show you
> > the hex code for that character.
> >
> > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Showing_the_ASCII_value_of_the_current_character
>
> /me cries
>
> Every time somebody refers to "the ASCII value" of non-ASCII characters, God
> kills a puppy.
>

> No wonder people find it so hard to understand Unicode. They have to unlearn
> a bunch of misapprehensions first.

Ooooo! I LOVE crocodiles especially the crocodile-tears variety

The title says get ASCII value; the first line of the writeup says ASCII or Unicode.

If python were to do more than lip service to  REALLY being a unicode age language
why are things like this out of bounds even for discussion?

http://blog.languager.org/2014/04/unicoded-python.html

Note: Please make a distinction between
- Any ONE of these suggestions; none of which need to be taken too seriously individually
And
- The simple barefaced fact that not a single lexeme from python3 apart from
comments and identifiers allow elements from the set Unicode - ASCII.

Of which comments are arguably not in the language
And uncode identifiers are an opened pandora box with bigger disadvantages than advantages